HOW TO MAKE GOOEY, DELICIOUS CARAMEL APPLES
PREP: 20 minutes
CHILL: 15 minutes
READY: 35 minutes
6 Granny Smith apples (preferably, unwaxed)
1 pack of craft popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks
1 pack of caramel bits (11 oz) or soft caramel candies, unwrapped (11-14 oz)
1 tablespoon of water
1 tablespoon of milk
1. For the best results, the apples should be unwaxed. Wax prevents caramel from sticking properly, so if the apples are waxed, set them in a rinse of white vinegar (1 cup) and cold water (3 cups) for 8 to 10 minutes. After the apple soak is complete, wash the apples clean and proceed to destem each one. Dry the apples and set them in a bowl.
2. Gently stab each apple with a knife, about ¾ into the apple, where the stem once was. After clearing a position, insert one stick into the center of each apple. Place the apples on a tray and refrigerate until they’re crisp and ready to be dipped in caramel.
2. Place your caramel pieces into a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of milk. In total, the caramels should melt in under three minutes. To avoid overheating, whisk the caramels once per minute. Pull the bowl out as soon as the caramels are thoroughly melted.
3. One by one, take each apple and roll it deep into the caramel. After the sides are covered, set the apple directly into the bowl and use a spoon to coat whatever untouched surface remains.
4. Remove the coated apples from the caramel and set them onto a tray, atop a buttered wax sheet.
5. Store the caramel apples in your fridge for 15 minutes.
6. Pop your sweet, chewy treats out of the chiller and enjoy!